Saturday, March 6, 2010

Why stop now?

The Week of Eating In was a success. Only one slip up: a day full of meals provided by my parents. That can't be held against me because who would pass up on a free meal with mom and dad?

I'm attributing the win to better planning of meals and trips to the market. I was able to transform many of the ingredients into new dishes versus just having leftovers that I would normally throw away. So why stop now? I've been eating (mostly) in every day since. I enjoy the process of preparing a meal and I'm happy to learn skills and try new things. It took me long enough, but I've finally graduated from just boiling water.

My first dinner party consisted of Hamburger Helper, a bagged salad, Texas toast and soda from the machine. It was my freshman year in the four west common room of Broward Hall. I botched the instructions and the pasta was undercooked.

Not too long after that I started collecting interesting recipes. I kept them in an old school recipe box, but the clippings became too numerous and it was hard to keep them neat. I've since compiled them into a Word document recipe book.

Sixty-two pages later, I still add recipes weekly. I've tried about half of them and constantly write notes or tweak the recipes after making something. Not all the dishes are hits, but the process of collecting and cooking is enjoyable. Maybe one day I will turn my collection into a proper personal cookbook. 

So until I tire of this experiment, I'll keep searching the pages for possible candidates to get me through the Week(s) of Eating In. I'm off to a good start, and if I do break down and eat out, I'll just make sure I'm not paying.

No comments:

Post a Comment