Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Coming soon: A Simpler Me Embroidery

I recently rediscovered my love for embroidery. It's relaxing and easy enough that it doesn't discourage me from learning more. Not to mention it's pretty to look at. It's also a cheap hobby -- that helps. With this renewed interest and extra free time, it seemed logical that I could use this new skill and possibly get paid for my work.


So I'm opening an Etsy store.

Don't get too excited just yet, right now it's an empty storefront. I'm developing store policies and in the process of creating items to sell.  Then comes the process of listing the merchandise and waiting for takers.

So far I've completed a girl's onesie and am working on two sets of dinner napkins. Plans are also under way to develop kitchen towels, pillow cases, gift tags and potentially burping towels (I don't even know how to use these, so the burping towels may be a no-go).



I also officially sold my first item: a boy's onesie. Yeah, I sold it to my dad, but he's gifting it to a friend so he totally counts as a customer. Mom has also jumped on the bandwagon and I will be working on kitchen towels with a chili pepper theme.

Are my items homespun? You betcha, but a little kitsch is endearing.

Do I expect this to be a full-time job that will make me loads of money? Um, no. I'd be happy if I sold enough to recover the cost of materials. If that doesn't happen, these items would still make for excellent gifts and there are always birthdays and holidays where they would be appropriate.

Bottom line is this is something to keep me busy while I figure out what the heck I really want to do with my life. I'm a little lacking in the motivation department and I've been having trouble falling asleep. When I do manage some shut eye, I find myself having nightmares about my old job. The whole point of resigning was to regroup and determine what's really going to make me happy. If this new project helps me relax and gets the ball rolling, that's good enough for me.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds great! I'd love to make some purchases when you get your shop going!

    ReplyDelete