Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The next big thing

I pick up new hobbies like Perez Hilton picks on celebrities. With each project I become obsessed with buying the right supplies, how-to books and planning how I am going to be the next big:
  • linguist 
  • scrapbooker
  • photographer
  • embroiderer
  • chef
  • health fanatic
  • gamer
  • blogger
Two years ago, I was convinced I could de-stress my troubles away by picking up a needle, some embroidery floss and a loom. I was going to embroider patterns on dinner napkins (with matching kitchen towels), a cozy blanket and pillowcases with cute sayings to give away as gifts. That lasted long enough to finish three napkins. Then the supplies were put away and forgotten. I was on to the next fun hobby.

I rediscovered my embroidery supplies when I was cleaning out my linen closet. I actually did enjoy what little time we spent together and figured I'd give it another shot. So far I'm pretty pleased with the results.


Friends of mine are having a baby and who can resist a hand-embroidered onesie? Folks beware: The instant I find out you're expecting, expect to get a onesie with some baby-appropriate image on the front.

I'm actually not half bad at it either. I won't be joining Stitch and Bitch anytime soon, but I realized I can parlay this acquired talent into a thoughtful, inexpensive holiday gift for family and friends.

I showed my mom pictures of what I'd completed so far. She was amazed I knew how to thread a needle, let alone embroider something. Little does she know there's a pair of cutesy pillowcases with her name on them under the Christmas tree this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment