Wednesday, June 2, 2010

No water + South Florida summer = dead garden

I was really excited about planting and tending to my very own garden. I had a run of bad luck in the past keeping plants alive, but was making it a priority and really enjoying it.

But then life happened. And by life I mean a family trip to Disney World, another surgery for Mom and spending an extra week and a half at Mom's playing nurse. Add it all up and I got one very sad, very dead garden.

My garden (from left): strawberries, sweet peppers, basil, cilantro, oregano, cornflowers, sunflowers and baby's breath.

There were definitely tears when I saw what was left of my plants. There is hope for the baby's breath and the only herb that made it was never an herb at all and just a random weed. Thankfully my tomato plant survived the drought. It hasn't fruited, but it definitely smells like tomatoes. 

The plan is to salvage what I can and replant the rest in a couple of weeks. Next week I have to house/dog sit while my mother is on a business trip, but then it's back to being Mary, Mary, quite contrary and making something out of all the seeds I bought. 

To boot, this has put me in a rather foul mood that not even retail therapy was able to change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment