Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter food coma

Holiday meals are usually a small, but happy affair. A week before, Mom and I discuss the menu and divvy up the cooking responsibilities. My brother just shows up.

The original plan was to serve an Easter brunch, but when Mom couldn't fit in all my brother's requests for Cuban food during his weekend visit, we settled for a late lunch/early dinner. This became the perfect opportunity to make a soup I had at Disney's Port Orleans Resort -- Riverside back in January. The soup is rich, hearty and full of warm and fuzzy goodness. 

Boatwright's Crab Soup
Adapted from Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
1 cup finely diced potatoes
1 cup finely diced carrots
1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
1/2 cup corn kernels, preferably fresh
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup clam broth (I ended up using clam juice)
2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions 
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1 tablespoon Pernod (I nixed this altogether)

  1. In a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven, heat the heavy cream, half-and-half and milk to a simmer over medium heat. 
  2. Add the potatoes, carrots, crabmeat, corn, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. 
  3. Whisk the water and the cornstarch together in a small bowl. Add the cornstarch mixture and the clam broth to the cream mixture and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute, or until thickened.
  4. Just before serving, stir in the scallions, dill and Pernod.

I will gladly be eating soup leftovers throughout the week.

My other contribution to the meal was dessert. I settled on cupcakes because they are no fuss and tasty. Really, I just wanted an excuse to make these darling cupcake wrappers. I used card stock instead of wrapping paper and it worked just fine. 

The wrappers were much cuter in person. This picture from my phone doesn't do them justice.

I took most of the leftovers home so I wouldn't have to worry about cooking this week. The uneaten cupcakes, however, ended up at Mom's office. Me + unattended cupcakes = belly ache. 

No comments:

Post a Comment